Saturday, January 21, 2017

Moral letters to Lucilius, by Seneka



Last year brought to me big life questions that I had no answers to. It is strange how things are happening in life, because then I reached for this book, now knowing that it discusses life, the good and bad, choices, wisdom, how to achieve happiness.

Seneka was a philosopher and he believed in living in piece with nature, not being attached to material things, even food or people. He believed in simple life, where more than necessary only causes a worried mind. Something that he sees as one of the greatest obstacles and the one that everyone should work not to be a slave to is passion. 

His dedication in reaching highest level of wisdom and happiness is absolute. When he is asked to give his opinion on other schools of philosophy, peoples behaviour, professions that he finds less valuable, he does it using sharp tongue which I found amusing. I didn’t expect to laugh as hard as I did while reading. 

I’d say I agree with most of his philosophy. Women of his time didn’t have the same rights as men, which he didn’t found to be strange so, of course, I don’t agree on that. I also don’t agree when he says that, a wise man is not allowing himself to get affected or excited by anything because he doesn’t need more than himself to be happy. Other than that his philosophy is logical to me and simple to follow. Having said that, even the right choices can be hard to make sometimes. I was making breaks in reading because I didn’t feel like being lectured, which is how it felt sometimes. Also, I realised that I am a slave to my desires. 

This book is full of wisdom and I would recommend reading it, or parts of it, few times. It is a good reminder of values and also, with space in between and hopefully growing, you can learn more.





M

No comments:

Post a Comment