Saturday, September 24, 2016

Raspberry jam


This summer in Sweden was amazing when it comes to fruit. I have never had apricots as sweet as they were this year, of course watermelon, plums… So naturally, my sister and I decided to make a jam. We opted for the raspberry one because it goes well with pretty much everything-bread, pancakes, waffles, doughnuts… This was our first time making the jam and we were blown away with how good it tastes! I just hope that in the future I don’t end up cooking the jam in a ridiculously big pot, like my grandmom does..but I can already see myself. :D


Ingredients


1kg raspberries
1/2kg brown or white sugar
A few jars
Cellophane



Process


Wash the raspberries and remove any mouldy parts.
I a bowl combine the washed raspberries and the sugar, cover with plastic foil and leave in the fridge for 12-24 hours.
After 12-24 hours transfer the mixture in to a pot with high sides and start cooking on a high heat until it starts to boil. Mix with a wooden spoon all the time. Once it starts to boil turn the heat down to medium and continue cooking for around 20-25min or until you reach the desired consistency. I stop cooking the jam when it’s still a bit runny because it thickens as it cools down.
Wash and dry the jars then place them on an oven tray and leave in the 100 ° C warmed up oven for around 1 hour. When the jam is cooked turn off the oven, take out the jars and fill them with the jam. Cover each jar with a bit of cellophane, no lock needed at this stage, and leave them back, in the now turned off oven, until the next day. The next day, through away the cellophane and replace with a peace of new one, put the locks on and leave in the fridge or the cupboard for up to one year.  




M

No comments:

Post a Comment