Friday, April 3, 2015

Baking for Easter



I don’t know how “Eastery” these cupcakes are but they were on my mind for some time now so I had to make them. I started baking in the afternoon not only to take photos in beautiful afternoon light but also because I was lazy and stayed in bed longer. Love lazy days! The whole process of baking felt like a chemistry project - I was making my own buttermilk, things were fizzing up and changing colours :) In the end there was a delicate, moist, not too sweet cupcake with ridiculously sweet and rich icing. I doubt these will last the whole Easter so.. good thing I have some chocolate to back me up :D

M












Red velvet cupcakes


Ingredients

235gr self raising flour
15gr cocoa powder
250gr caster sugar
3/4 tsp salt
270gr soft unsalted butter
4 eggs
3 tbs buttermilk or make own-mix 2,3dl milk with 1tbsp of lemon juice then let it rest for 5min.
1tsp red food colour paste
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5 tsp vinegar

For the icing
150gr soft unsalted butter
240gr cream cheese
840gr icing sugar


Process


Sift together flour, cocoa, sugar and salt.
In a small bowl combine buttermilk, food colouring and vanilla.
In a large bowl mix until combined dry ingredients, butter and eggs. On low speed add buttermilk mixture and mix until the colour is evenly distributed.
Add bicarbonate of soda to the vinegar then add that to the cake mixture while on low speed.
Speed up to a high and mix everything for a couple of sec.
Fill up 24 cupcake baking forms up to 3/4 full.
Bake on 170° for around 22min.
Mix butter and cream cheese until combined.
Add half of the sifted icing sugar and mix for around 2min then add second half and mix for another 2min. If the icing it too loose add more icing sugar if it’s too compact add some milk.
Pipe the icing over cooled cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment